Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Calcium Supplements can cause Magnesium Deficiency

I've been wondering why I am magnesium deficient until I recently learned that when we take a specific synthetic vitamin, such as Vitamin C or Calcium instead of whole plant vitamins, we can actually deplete the other vitamins/minerals stored in our organs.  In order to process calcium, magnesium is required.  For those of us who have been taking calcium supplements faithfully through the years to stave off osteoporosis and other bone-related disorders, if we have not been
taking a supplement also containing magnesium and Vitamin D  we may be seeing a deficiency of those co-factors in our bodies.  I see this in myself and in my family members.  Taking a really good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement with the extra calcium would be better.  Eating whole foods containing calcium, magnesium and other vitamins would be best.
Betty B. Ready